Established: 2001, first issue published in 2002
Editors: Robbie Matthews: Senior Editor. Editorship for each issue is rotated among members of the Andromeda Spaceways Publishing Co-op.
ASIM’s mission is to support Australian speculative fiction, and to provide a venue for stories that sample the ‘lighter side’ of specfic. Although we’re an Australian magazine, we have subscribers worldwide (well, almost worldwide: we’re still struggling to crack the lucrative Antarctic market) and our authors are also scattered far and wide. A typical ASIM issue (if there is any such thing) will contain roughly equal quantities of stories by local and international authors, ranging from frivolous space opera to grim and gritty dark fantasy. We’re available in both print and PDF editions, and publish bimonthly. We’re a paying market, offering 1.25 Australian cents per word. And we’re justifiably proud of the reputation our slush-handling system has achieved – doing right by our authors, whether their stories make it into the magazine or not, is something we’ve worked damn hard at.
Awards and Recognition:
The three-hundred-odd stories published to date in ASIM have accrued the following awards between them:
- Aurealis Awards (AUS): 8 shortlisted stories
- Australian Shadows Awards (AUS): 3 shortlisted stories
- Ditmar Awards (AUS): 1 winning story, 5 shortlisted stories, winner of a Best Professional Production Award, and also of a Best Professional Achievement Award
- Sir Julius Vogel Awards (NZ): 4 winning stories, 9 shortlisted stories, and winner of a Special Award for Services to Science Fiction
- …and we think there’s been a Tin Duck or several in there somewhere, too.
Other Items of Interest:
In lieu of payment, Co-op members receive virtual gold star performance bonuses, and staff discounts on interstellar travel.
Information provided by Felicity Dowker.